It’s here, the big 4-0…. I thought I would share a few of the things God has taught me over the years. You may find these helpful on your own journey. Some of these are only something I needed to know or hear. And well, most are definitely lessons I am still learning because I am a work in progress.
- I am a work in progress.
- Grace truly lacks a real definition.
- I am never alone.
- I have purpose.
- God’s Love is constant.
- When I walk in darkness, He is still there.
- The fastest way out of dark, lonely places is to surround myself with the light of God’s people.
- My love for others is more important than my need to be right.
- Live in the moment.
- Praying for others more than myself will have the greatest impact on me.
- Be flexible. Nothing turns out as you planned.
- Be Kind.
- Pray for your enemies, it is the most powerful form of prayer there is.
- Be an encourager.
- Good deeds are pointless when they have no purpose.
- People pleasing will kill you.
- Being a wife is the most selfless thing I will ever do.
- Sacrifice has many faces but in spite of what may be sacrificed, the reward is always greater than whatever I was holding on to.
- Fear is not from God.
- Shame is not from God.
- Justice has many forms but ultimately is in God’s hands.
- Asking for forgiveness when I am wrong should be my first response, not my last.
- Honesty has more power than our fear of the unknown outcome.
- People will hate you if you live your calling.
- People will hate you when you are getting it right.
- People will hate you when you are getting it wrong.
- God calls you to love all people.
- You will cry more tears than you ever thought possible, and He has captured every one.
- Grief is a different journey for everyone and the most incredible opportunity to find comfort in a living God.
- Busyness will distract you from your true giftings and calling. Be focused.
- Strength and Courage come from the power of God and my willingness to stand firm on His promises.
- Know God’s promises. For every battle, God has an answer and a plan.
- Being a mother will define you, break you, build you up and change you.
- Grace first. When I don’t know what to do, be gracious, be merciful, be loving and be kind. Everyone needs to be forgiven.
- It’s ok to let people go. Our greatest weapon is the power of prayer. I am not called to enable, be abused or be taken advantage of. I am called to love.
- If God has given me permission, there is nothing I should fear.
- Work hard, be willing to go first and set an example.
- Have Hope.
- Joy is always with you when you focus on the One who has it all worked out for His Glory.
I’ve been walking with God since I was about 15. And there is a Psalm that has been a prayer of mine many days and nights. It reminds me I am not alone, not the only one who has struggled on my journey or felt far from God. But, He is always there, always hears us. Good or Bad, in spite of my self….
Psalm 42: 8 The Lord will send His loving-kindness in the day. And His song will be with me in the night, a prayer to the God of my life.
What lessons has God graciously taught you in your life?